A+ | A - | RESET
Fixed | Wide | Full | Reset

HowsItGoinEh.com

A Compassionate Online Community

Advanced search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[April 04, 2014, 05:04:39 AM]

[March 30, 2014, 12:07:50 PM]

[March 16, 2014, 08:14:23 AM]

by Jake
[February 04, 2014, 10:59:58 AM]

by Jake
[February 04, 2014, 10:28:53 AM]

[December 22, 2013, 12:30:40 PM]

[December 20, 2013, 01:32:47 AM]

[November 20, 2013, 05:54:59 PM]

[November 01, 2013, 07:23:52 AM]

[September 25, 2013, 07:39:37 AM]

[August 26, 2013, 08:15:34 PM]

[August 19, 2013, 12:55:48 PM]
Support our Community!!

Newbie Forums

win prizes

Chat accromyms and commands for chat!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DMSO for whole Cannabis Extraction  (Read 5544 times)
kwak
~Sr. Gardener~

« on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to be doing a couple of experiments using DMSO as my direct solvent for whole cannabis extraction in my quest to create a super tincture.   I will be trying this at room temps or at least above the 65'f melt point of the DMSO, but I don't want to mess with water bath heating and maintenance.

Have any members done any thing quite like this yet?  If so what have your experiences been?   

I am pretty familiar with DMSO use both on its own for pains/strains and as a carrier for other molecules/compounds.

All the Best
R/
Kwak
RevFunk
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »

great idea my friend!!!!! Can you elaborate a bit more on DMSO?

amen
kwak
~Sr. Gardener~

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »

Hi Rev,

DMSO - DiMethylSulfoxide   it is a powerful and aggressive solvent that also has the ability to carry other molecules undamaged with it as it penetrates surfaces such as our skin. 

On its own it can be used as a way of reducing swelling at bruise sites, sprains, etc.  It is used a preservative for tissue and organ transfers, Popular in bodybuilding circles it is used as a topical delivery means for multiple hormones, steroids, it will improve the absorbtion of testerone cream approx 3X if I recall.   

It does have side effects, some skin irritation can occur from use, but that can be reduced by proper dilution of the solution.  It will leave you smelling of garlic filled oysters.. probably the biggest downfall, because everyone else is very aware.   A shame because it is a monster free radical scavenger, and is very effective at transport into our blood stream.

It comes from the paper industry, its relatively inexpensive, you can still readily get it.  It has low toxicity, It is used exetensively in veteranarian medicine, horses, for sprains, strains.  Has some interesting physical properties, freezes at 65', boils at I think 392'.  It is flammable, so careful use is necessary.   But provided you keep it warm room temp it works great as a solvent.   If you have an especially nasty piece of glassware it will clean it.

I first learned of years ago with sports injuries.  Here are a couple good starting links:

http://rexresearch.com/articles2/dmso.htm

http://www.bevanpotter.com/DMSO_bp.html

Hope this helps.
All the Best
R/
Kwak
RevFunk
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:23:29 AM »

WOW................sounds very promising!
Rainmakker84
~Bud Meister~

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:10:39 AM »

I will look into it. I have a friend studying medicine here in Holland and lab analysis if i find anything usefull that can be of use as a better transport system without side effects and anturally produced with in borders i wil leave the forum kinow. NIce information

Bless
kwak
~Sr. Gardener~

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »

Hi Rainmaker,

Thank you for looking into it, very kind

All the Best
R/
Kwak
RevFunk
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »

Hi Rainmaker,

Thank you for looking into it, very kind

All the Best
R/
Kwak

yup.........brotha Rain in a TOTALLY diff time schedule than some of us.............he is GOOD people for those who don't know him already   Smiley

rev
RevFunk
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »

something I grabbed off a diff site........................

"Some people report an onion- or garlic-like taste after touching DMSO. (Onion and garlic also derive their odor from sulfoxides syn-propanethial-S-oxide and allicin.) In the medical field DMSO is predominantly used as a topical analgesic[9], a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory[10] and an antioxidant[citation needed]. It has been examined for the treatment of numerous conditions and ailments. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved DMSO usage only for the palliative treatment of interstitial cystitis. Medicinal-grade DMSO for this purpose is manufactured by Insource, Inc. Under the name RIMSO.

Because DMSO increases the rate of absorption of some compounds through organic tissues including skin, it can be used as a drug delivery system.

Dimethyl sulfoxide dissolves a variety of organic substances, including carbohydrates, polymers, peptides, as well as many inorganic salts and gases. Loading levels of 50-60 wt.% are often observed vs 10-20 wt.% with typical solvents. For this reason DMSO plays a role in sample management and high-throughput screening operations in drug design.[11]

DMSO is commonly used in veterinary medicine as a liniment for horses, alone or in combination with other ingredients. In the latter case, often, the intended function of the DMSO is as a solvent, to carry the other ingredients across the skin. Also in horses, DMSO is used intravenously, again alone or in combination with other drugs. It is used alone for the treatment of increased intracranial pressure and/or cerebral edema in horses."

wiki
chicken
~Sr. Gardener~

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »

just be careful where you rub dat stuff mang. dmso works by opening the protective layer of our skin to transport the drug/compound into your skin.

so the compound doesn't like seep through the skin. it opens the skin. this also allows other foreign invaders to be able to pass through the skin, invaders that naturally would be blocked out. so rubbing dmso on a place that is gonna be dirty or sweaty, or otherwise exposed to contaminants is not wise.

people herald the properties of dmso, and it can be good. but it also can be dangerous. i have seen body builders with nasty skin infections after using this product for transdermal delivery of drugs.

it ain't the chicken in the fight. it's the fight in the chicken !!
kwak
~Sr. Gardener~

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:44:41 PM »

Hi All,

Indeed, care is indicated when handling /using dmso.  I do have experience in its use for sports injuries and maintaining a sterile field is important...   No doubt that you've seen bodybuilders that have misused it.. to say nothing of the quality of the product they were delivering with it.

My initial focus is on the capability of it to actually extract the cannabinoids efficiently. I figured by doing multipass extractions I could make a suitably concentrated tincture.  Something in the realm of 1 or 2 drops under the tongue for efficient and rapid delivery.  alternatively, a few drops is small glass of water, or beverage of choice, and down the hatch.   Portability, stealth, ease of use are all considerations.    Provided it extracts effectively without degrading the desired molecules, the next step will be to come up with a reproducible standardized formula for various strains.   whew shocked

Chicken your concerns are spot on, especially with respect to delivery areas and their environment, timing is also important to allow for sufficient penetration without interference.  But, like many other things that can be effective... they have the double edged characteristic of being potentially dangerous. Thankfully our beloved herb is extraordinarily forgiving in that respect, so much upside, so little down.   Tie that into the cover story for HIGE E!

All The Best
R/
kwak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Life before the Drug War

Last 10 Shouts:
April 13, 2014, 01:22:05 PM
Got your beans yet?
Smiley
Yoda
April 04, 2014, 08:15:55 PM
dam somer is over here now and were heading back into winter aaaaaahhhhhhggggg
March 19, 2014, 05:52:11 AM
i see  CLONES .....
March 16, 2014, 07:56:44 AM
doing the its almost spring im so sick of winter  its a female dance
March 15, 2014, 09:09:45 PM
Spring is in the air!
February 18, 2014, 10:41:13 PM
Hi All, and Rolly, great to see ya.
Yoda, you OK Brother?
February 17, 2014, 01:35:00 PM
puff...puff>>>pass
February 04, 2014, 12:54:08 AM
hey family how is everyone
January 27, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
Welcome back everyone, its great to see so many friends still at it.
Yoda Smiley
January 05, 2014, 11:08:12 AM
Let's make 2014 the 'break through' year...
Legalize it!

Run From the Cure

JACK HERER ON HEMP
NY Deisel Harvest