A+ | A - | RESET
Fixed | Wide | Full | Reset

HowsItGoinEh.com

A Compassionate Online Community

Advanced search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 11:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[June 27, 2014, 04:53:40 AM]

[May 24, 2014, 09:12:07 PM]

[April 04, 2014, 05:04:39 AM]

[March 30, 2014, 12:07:50 PM]

[March 16, 2014, 08:14:23 AM]

by Jake
[February 04, 2014, 10:59:58 AM]

by Jake
[February 04, 2014, 10:28:53 AM]

[December 22, 2013, 12:30:40 PM]

[December 20, 2013, 01:32:47 AM]

[November 20, 2013, 05:54:59 PM]

[November 01, 2013, 07:23:52 AM]

[September 25, 2013, 07:39:37 AM]
Support our Community!!

Newbie Forums

win prizes

Chat accromyms and commands for chat!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: how much longer to harvest buds, before frost?  (Read 1351 times)
Lusi
~Bud Meister~

« on: October 29, 2010, 02:02:48 AM »

Hi again!

I should change this forum to the Lusi forum... I think I'll be a newbie forever. :-D

Seven found a frost chart for my area. I'm new to this area and thought there was another month 'til possible frost, not just two weeks, give or take. How does frost effect the buds? My 4 outdoor flowering plants don't look done to me, but I'm just basing this on the trichs are not amber yet.

The two oldest plants didn't recover well from me frying their healthy white pistils. Some new ones came in, but there is very little growth and the buds are small. The other two plants were not as badly damaged. They were the smallest ones, trained in a spiral to blend in my herbs. They have huge buds and the pistils all came back! The 5th plants (BBG) is flowering, but just a few weeks. I'll bring her in as soon as I make some room. I can bug bomb the room and move the lights to another room after they are done.

Can anyone here tell me if it is OK to leave them out when it frosts, and if not, how long before they are ready to harvest? If they can tolerate frost, is it worth snipping the big buds and letting the little ones get sun? 11 hours between sunrise and sunset. Only one of these 4 is in an actual pot. How would I "flush" them 10 days before harvest? They are in a 3gallon bag of soil, then buried into the clay. The drainage is terrible. Is it time to stop feeding or watering them? I sprayed some homemade sprays on one today. Dang Whiteflies! I hope they don't taste like garlic and tobasco. (gag)

I'll try and get a few pics here, but it is easier to just go to my gallery folder link and see all the bud shots. OK, I lied. Computer just locks up. Will let it sit and perhaps it will load 1 photo before I wake up tomorrow. ;-(Here's the folder of my buds. smile)) There are 15 pics, don't forget the 3 on the second page!
http://www.howsitgoineh.com/forums/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=363

All my pics are photo shopped and everything I write imaginary. smile)
Tornupinside
Coco Nut
Global Moderator
~Klozit Expert~

Things are exactly as they seem. :D

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:13 AM »

The cold wont effect them as much as frost will. You can just "cover them" overnight and uncover them in the mornings to keep the frost off of them and get a little more time.

Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Lusi
~Bud Meister~

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

How low of temps can they take? Are they anywhere close to harvest? I need to find that out anyway, cold or not.

My book says to harvest when the trichs are opaque. Other things I've read say amber. Even with the 30x magnifier, I can't tell clear from opaque. They are not amber. It's frustrating to read all of this conflicting info!!! My primary goal is for buds that knock me out at night and keep the burning pain from head to toe away for the night.

The ten day forecast says temps in the low 40s for this week, so I have time before the frost.

Do my buds look good, average, or very sad? If I harvest some buds earlier than others, will the leftovers keep growing... if I cover them from frost? Since they don't smell, does this mean they are far from done? Should I stop feeding them and watering them now?

brakka
~Bud Meister~

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »

When u look withthe scope u will def b able to tell the cloudy from the clear trichs. I usually harvest at the first sign of amber trichs

Each of us-
A cell of awareness-
Imperfect and incomplete.
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.
~n. peart
Lusi
~Bud Meister~

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »

I have a 30x magnifier with light. I need to find a clear trich to compare them to. Are all the white pistils supposed to dry up or turn orange?
I put a new photo up in the bud folder. I've added a close up of this one. I think it's my best one. :-D
http://www.howsitgoineh.com/forums/gallery/displayimage.php?album=363&pos=13

Do you have or no where some photos are of clear and cloudy buds? The ones I have are dyed to make them easier to see. This is great for a neat photo, but not of help to me!

If I keep them covered for frost, will they continue to grow and get more trichs in the cold weather? Is it work harvesting the big buds first and letting the smaller ones get more sun? If I miss the frost and the buds freeze, will it ruin them?

Hey, no one has even viewed my bud pics in my gallery?! I don't know if they are any good or not. the one I put in this thread is so pixelated I can barely tell what it is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:01:11 AM by Lusi » Logged

Yoda
Legally Medicated
Administrator
~HIGE Elder Statesman~

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

Hi Lusi.
Those bigger buds are looking close to ready to take!
If you go looking around in the gallery you should be able to find some more close ups, i know they are in there.
Those  big buds are looking really good! if you give them a squeeze, and they feel rock solid, then they are ready to take, and you could even take the big ones and let the smaller ones fatten up some.
If you cover them for frost, they should all get a little bigger. If they get froze, it will kill the buds, but you can still take them right away and dry them out to use.

hope this helps.
Yoda

Join the The 12-1 Convoy. Pick up my book at: http://www.agardenofpeace.com
Lusi
~Bud Meister~

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

Darnit, I squeezed a few buds and their spongy and sticky. :-( Is this photo taken under a yellow light or is that really the color? My trichs certainly don't look like that! I guess I have a white still.

Is it correct to pick them when the trichs are amber or is it cloudy? Which makes them stronger?

I found some spider mites on the male plant I brought in last month. Even with the magnifier, they look like specks of dirt... until they move. I hosed the plant off. They were still alive. So, I soaked the plant in soapy water for a half hour/ soil and pot too. LOL I also took some clones and did the same to then. I don't see the little bastards on the other indoor plants, but I'll soak them all tomorrow if the male plant still lives. For now, I separated all of the plants under various CFLs in different rooms. There weren't many mites, but the white specks could be eggs. It's odd I never found a single spider mite outside! I'll have to check again. How do I kill the mites and eggs on plants near harvest?Better safe than sorry.

So which bud pic do you like best? Are there any good enough for the next bud contest? :-D The two plants I fried with B vits are the best ... go figure!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Life before the Drug War

Last 10 Shouts:
September 19, 2014, 09:04:56 PM
Where are you Polar?
September 18, 2014, 06:16:23 PM
Hi Crow old friend, get ahold of me, going to chat fri the 19th at around 8pm local time/pacific.
Anyone who want's, please come into chat .Let's get together folks.
September 16, 2014, 05:30:39 AM
Hey dudes and my lovely dudettes howsitgoineh?having a bad coupla mouths just recently,got evicted and youngest son (b) was arrested today had a row with my addiction Dr and have been seperated from my grandchildren that's the worse so far so how ya all doing can't wait to hear back from the old s
September 05, 2014, 08:56:27 PM
looking forward to the new site...puff...puff>>>pass
May 16, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
beans went to a worthy cause..clones are Sweet Island Skunk still.
April 22, 2014, 07:14:13 AM
were is everyone
April 13, 2014, 01:22:05 PM
Got your beans yet?
Smiley
Yoda
April 04, 2014, 08:15:55 PM
dam somer is over here now and were heading back into winter aaaaaahhhhhhggggg
March 19, 2014, 05:52:11 AM
i see  CLONES .....
March 16, 2014, 07:56:44 AM
doing the its almost spring im so sick of winter  its a female dance